So you’re considering hiring an Engineer Expert Witness to help with a legal problem.
Your foremost question should be: “What type of Engineer do I need as an Expert Witness to help solve this problem for my client as efficiently and favorably as possible?”
Just because an engineer has a degree or an advanced degree does not necessarily mean he or she can practice or testify as an expert witness in any field of engineering.
Here are some thoughts from an experienced engineer who has served as an expert witness and helped solve legal problems from both sides of an argument.
Hire an engineer with specific qualifications in your distinctive problem area, such as:
- Don’t hire an aerospace engineer to help solve a structural engineering issue.
- Don’t hire a general civil engineer to help solve a corrosion or structural engineering issue.
- Don’t hire an engineer with a PhD in Engineering Management to help address a technical issue unless he or she has had several years of hands on experience with that specific issue.
Hire an engineer with specific experience in your specific problem area.
For example, if you have a problem with corrosion damage on a steel structure:
- Hire a Professional Engineer with decades of experience solving corrosion problems on steel structures.
- Hire a trained and certified Professional Engineer with decades of experience in application of protective coating systems on steel structures.
Do not hire an engineer as an expert witness based on price alone.
- Hire a Professional Engineer with variable rates based on time spent on research, mediation, arbitration, depositions and court appearances.
- Hire a Professional Engineer who will not be intimidated by opposing counsel.
Corrosion or Water Tank Issues?
If your case involves structural or corrosion issues on steel structures, you need the services of Jim Dunham, an Expert Witness with 40+ years of addressing design, construction and corrosion issues on steel structures of all types.
If you have a problem with a water tank in particular, get the help you need from Jim Dunham, an Expert Witness with 40+ years of construction and maintenance of water tanks of all types and sizes.